Let’s dig deep and examine the positive and negative health effects of Wellbutrin and Phentermine combination.
Life in the twenty-first century is utterly chaotic and extremely hectic. We are constantly put under pressure to give our hundred percent be it personal or professional life.
This pressure makes us vulnerable to stress and compels us to adopt an unhealthy lifestyle. We start relying more upon comfort foods, which are overly processed and lead to uncalled for weight gain.
Stress and weight gain may eventually culminate in depression and obesity if we don’t deal with the problem right in the beginning. To deal with stress, we have no other choice but to turn to antidepressants like Wellbutrin.
But how can one deal with weight gain while being on antidepressants? That’s possible too, by combining Wellbutrin and Phentermine. In fact, it is a safer way to lose weight and stay stress-free.
However, it is important to be aware of the impacts of these medications on our overall health before using them.
Wellbutrin (bupropion) is an effective antidepressant and mood enhancer. It helps in restoring the lost balance between the brain’s natural chemicals, also called neurotransmitters. Its regular use improves personal health and quality of life.
The medication received approval for clinical use in the United States in 1985, and over the years it has become the most commonly used and frequently prescribed anti-depressant in the Western world.
Wellbutrin is used to treat a wide range of mental health issues or psychiatric conditions including anxiety, eating disorders, OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorders), and is an approved medication to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and Major Depressive Disorder (MDD). Wellbutrin is also helpful in smoking cessation.
There are three versions of Wellbutrin tablet currently available in the market; immediate-release, sustained-release, and extended-release. The tablet is taken orally as prescribed by the physician.
Aplenzin, Budeprion, Forfivo, and Zyban, all are the different names of Wellbutrin.
Common Side Effects of Wellbutrin
Antidepressants are regarded as safe for human health, but it is a fact that no medical treatment can be totally risk-free. There are some mild side effects of Wellbutrin that generally fade away after the first or second week of regular use.
Common side effects of Wellbutrin include:
- Weight loss
- Dry mouth and sore throat
- Fast heartbeat (tachycardia)
Some of the less common side effects include skin rash, ringing sound in the ears, sweating, muscle or stomach pain, anxiety, shakiness, lack of concentration, and eye-related angle-closure glaucoma (symptoms include swelling, redness, and pain in or around the eye and changes in vision).
However, these effects are observed in less than 10% of patients.
Wellbutrin is not associated with any sexual side effects, unlike other antidepressants. In fact, it is used as an alternative option to treat sexual side effects caused by other antidepressants.
Phentermine is a common anorectic (appetite suppressant) medication. It is used to treat weight gain or obesity in combination with other lifestyle changes such as exercise and a healthy diet. The medication is taken orally.
Phentermine received approval for clinical use in the United States in 1959 and its use has increased tremendously since then. In 2016, Phentermine was the 26th most prescribed drug in the USA with over 2 million prescriptions.
It is generally used for a brief period of time, usually up to 12 weeks, to promote weight loss if calorie control or exercise is not helping. However, in some cases, the physician may prescribe to use it for up to nine months.
Phentermine helps speed up the process of weight loss by increasing the release of hunger-suppressing neurotransmitters dopamine and nor-epinephrine. That is, it tricks our brain into feeling full leading to a decrease in ill-timed hunger pangs.
Common Side Effects of Phentermine
Just like Wellbutrin, there are adverse or long-lasting side effects of Phentermine. It is basically an appetite suppressant that may cause the following side effects in the initial days/weeks of its use.
- High blood pressure
- Fast heartbeat
- Sleeplessness & restlessness
- Pulmonary hypertension
Phentermine and Wellbutrin Combo; What you need to Know
Antidepressant users may want to combine Wellbutrin with appetite suppressant Phentermine for several reasons, most importantly to lose weight.
Sometimes, people may choose to incorporate Wellbutrin to deal with common Phentermine-led side effects such as stress and mood swings.
What about the Seizure Risk?
As per the Drug Interactions Checker, Wellbutrin and Phentermine have a Major Interaction when used in combination, which may be rare but is indeed a possibility.
The problem is that Wellbutrin is linked with the risk of seizure, and the addition of Phentermine may intensify the risk.
Hence, it is important to be very cautious while administering Wellbutrin with anything that can lay a significant impact on seizure onset.
Those highly at-risk are the elderly and patients having a history of seizure or seizure-associated risk factors such as brain tumor, head trauma, or severe hepatic cirrhosis.
Safe Administering of Wellbutrin and Phentermine; The Dos and Don’ts:
- Take the medications as per the directions on the prescription label
- Always ask your doctor to change or taper your dose if the prescribed dosage isn’t working
- Wellbutrin can be taken with/without food
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water because the risk of dehydration, low blood pressure, electrolytes imbalance, and kidney stones is highest when you take Phentermine and Wellbutrin together
- Ideally, you should lose 3% of your weight in the first 12 weeks of taking both the drugs with a low-calorie diet. However, if you don’t observe any reduction in your weight and feel constantly hungry, consult your doctor
- Store the medications at room temperature in a cool and dry place
- Keep noticing the amount of medicine after every use to timely detect if anyone starts using the drugs without prescription. These drugs are highly addictive and can have adverse effects on others or lead to drugs abuse
- Never use these drugs in very high or low doses any longer than prescribed
- Don’t chew, crush, break or open the Wellbutrin capsule, just swallow it
- Don’t take more medicines to treat common side effects of Phentermine and Wellbutrin combo (e.g. insomnia, headache, and fast heartbeat) because it may make you vulnerable to more serious, life-threatening side effects
- Don’t stop taking these drugs abruptly or else you’ll expose yourself to the risk of seizure (convulsions)
- Don’t share the drugs with anyone having a history of addiction or drug abuse
- Don’t sell or share the drug with anyone as it is illegal